Abdominoplasty, also colloquially known as ‘tummy tuck’, is a cosmetic surgical procedure which is done to make the abdomen thinner, firmer, and flatter.The surgery undertakes the concept of removal of excess skin and fat from the middle and lowers abdominal region to tighten the muscle and fascia underlying the abdominal wall. Abdominoplasty is usually sought by patients who have developed loose and sagging skin tissues after pregnancy and extensive weight loss.
Abdominoplasty surgery has a widely varying scope and is frequently subdivided into various categories depending upon the extent of the surgery. A complete abdominoplasty can take up to as long as 1 to 5 hours whereas; a partial abdominoplasty can be completed within a duration of 1 to 2 hours. Complete abdominoplasty is a complex procedure, consisting of various steps. These steps include:
- Making an incision from hip to hip right above the pubic area.
- Making another incision to free the naval from the surrounding skin.
- Detaching the skin to remove the muscle and fascia that need to be tightened.
- Using liposuction to refine the transition zones of the abdominal sculpture.
- A dressing or a compressing garment is often placed and any excess liquid is drained.
Compared to a complete abdominoplasty, a partial abdominoplasty is themuch simpler procedure and can be done to get rid of thelight flabby skin. This procedure involves the following steps:
- Making a smaller incision.
- The skin and fat are detached in a more limited manner from the lower abdominal wall.
- The belly button stalk is divided from the muscle below and is made to slide down.
- The abdominal muscle fascia is tightened.
- Liposuction is used to contour the transition zone.
- The flap is stitched back into place.
Post Surgery Recovery
The recovery depends on the extent of the problem, surgical technique and another factor. It can take 1 to 4 four weeks during which the patients are advised not to do theheavy lifting and take recovery time off from work. Patients are also advised to refrain from consuming any forms of nicotine for a month or longer prior and after the surgery.