Minimally Invasive Knee Replacement
The minimally invasive knee replacement is one of the ways of performing the knee arthroplasty on a patient. The minimal invasive knee replacement surgery involves a shorter incision and a different, less-invasive technique to open the joint. It is performed primarily to reduce postoperative pain and fast recovery from the surgery.
It is performed on people suffering from diseases like:
- Osteoarthritis: It is caused by aging joints, obesity, and injury which results in thebreakdown of joint cartilage and underlying bone. Popularsymptoms are joint pain and swelling.
- Psoriatic arthritis: Is a type of arthritis that affects people having psoriasis. Symptoms are pain, swelling, stiffness in joints. Affected joints have red skin and are usually warm.
- Rheumatoid arthritis: It is aform of arthritis where the body’s immune system attacks the normal joint tissues, resulting in inflammation of the joint lining. Symptoms are stiffness, pain, and swelling.
Minimally invasive Total knee replacement is performed on people who are younger and healthier. People who are not over weight but have asignificant deformity of the knee and are very muscular are not advised to undergo this surgery.
Some of the advantages of Minimally Invasive Knee replacement surgery are asmall scar, less blood loss during surgery, less damage to the tissue, ligament, and tendon, minimalpost-operative pain and short recovery time from the surgery.
Even though the minimally invasive surgery is advantageous over the traditional knee replacement surgery it does have some complicationslike:
- Nerve and artery injuries and soft tissues surrounding the joint may be stretched and torn during surgery.
- Infections, errors in positioning the prosthetic knee implant (artificial surface) as the surgeon has a limited view of the joint. This surgery usually takes longer duration as compared to the traditional knee replacement surgery.
The minimally invasive knee surgery requires an expert surgeon, as the surgery needs to be carried out with precision with aminimum view of the operated area.