Gastric refers to ‘of the stomach’ and hence, all the diseases of the stomach are known as gastric diseases. It is a known fact that stomach diseases are caused mostly by infection and a large number of studies have shown that stomach ulcers, gastritis and stomach cancer are caused by a bacteria named H. pylori.
Types Of Gastric Diseases
It refers to discomfort of stomach. In formal medical language, the term gastritis refers to inflammation, irritation or erosion of the lining of the stomach. It is caused by the excessive use of alcohol, chronic vomiting, stress or by H. pylori—a bacteria.
- Nausea or upset stomach.
- Abdominal pain
- Indigestion, etc.
How Is It Diagnosed ?
It can be diagnosed by following tests or methods:
- Upper Endoscopy : It is a procedure that helps a surgeon to examine one’s esophagus’s surface line as well as stomach and duodenum.
- Blood Tests :This test determine whether a patient has enough number of blood cells or not.
Other gastric diseases include
- GASTROENTERITIS - It is an inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract in both stomach and small intestine. It is caused by rotavirus and norovirus.
- STOMACH CANCER - It also goes with the name ‘Gastric Cancer’ and is caused by a number of risk factors like—diets rich in salted foods, smoking, excessive intake of alcohol, etc. A proper cure to this disease is yet to find, which makes it one of the rare diseases.
- PEPTIC ULCERS - Peptic is associated with digestion while Peptic Ulcers is a break in the lining of the duodenum or stomach which is deep enough to produce an ulcer in its wall.
Duodenal ulcers are more common in males than female, while gastric ulcers affect men and women more or less equally. It is caused by the infection with the bacteria—H. pylori.